GRANTSVILLE, Utah – Scott Heckert, of Ridgefield, Conn., qualified for the pole position in GTS Round 14 at the Grand Prix of UMC presented by Energy Solutions. Third-place points contender and New Braunsfels, Texas, resident Parker Chase qualified for P2, while Texas residents Scott Dollahite (Austin, Texas) and Harry Gottsacker (San Antonio, Texas) completed the second-row P3 and P4 positions respectively. Closing out the top-five qualifiers with four different auto manufacturers was Allendale, NJ’s Brett Sandberg.
Heckert, driving the No. 54 SIN Cars/Racers Edge Motorsports SIN R1 GT4 car, ran a 1:57.311 at 95.536 m.p.h. that was just enough for the P1 position as Chase, in the No. 19 Performance Motorsports Group Ginetta GT4 ran a scant 0.004-seconds slower in his bid for the pole.
Diversifying the top-three manufacturer representation, Dollahite’s 1:57.372 at 93.487 m.p.h. in the No. 46 SDR Motorsports Lotus Evora was still only just-shy of 0.05-seconds from pole position, while Chase’s teammate and fellow Ginetta GT4-driver, driving the No. 29 car, Gottsacker registered a 1:57.397 (at 93.467 m.p.h.) for entry into the second row of the qualifying grid. Continuing with manufacturer diversification and an extremely close field, Sandberg’s No. 13 KTM XBow GT4 run was 0.02-seconds behind Dollahite and 0.086-seconds behind the pole, clocking in at 1:57.435 at 93.437 m.p.h.
Said pole-sitter Heckert, “It took a few laps for the tires to come in for qualifying. Every lap we were building to that speed. We have been working on the balance all weekend to see how the desert air works with the car. It’s funny. I got lost a few times learning the track this week in the first practice. There is not a lot of site locations on the track and you have to go off the brake marker boards. If you don’t use them, there isn’t much to go off of here. But now the track is a ton of fun.” Of his No. 54 SIN R1, Heckert remarked, “After driving the stock car (Xfinity Series) last week at Watkins Glen and now the SIN car in PWC, they are two completely different animals. Whatever a car is supposed to, it does it differently. The stock car is heavy and has big dive on the brakes. The SIN car is very stable. Every aspect of the car is different from last week. Luckily I have enough laps in the SIN car to back up to speed very quickly. I’m ready for the race. We’ve done a couple of long runs. So I felt good about it.”
With the top nine grid positions within 0.5-seconds of pole, the extremely tight GTS class takes to the track for Round 14, a 50-minute race, at 5:15 p.m. MDT on Saturday. Live timing can be viewed LiveTiming.net/PWC/ while live streaming of the event can be viewed at MotorTrendOnDemand.com.
Grantsville, UT – Results from Saturday, Aug 13, 2016 Pirelli World Challenge Championship GTS Round 14 Qualifying part of the Grand Prix at UMC Presented by Energy Solutions. All results are provisional until posted Final.
Pos. PIC, Class, Name, Hometown, Car, Fast Time
1. 1, GTS, Scott Heckert/Chris Beaufait, Ridgefield CT/Freeland WA, SIN R1 GT4, 1:57.311
2. 2, GTS, Parker Chase, New Braunfels TX, Ginetta GT4, 1:57.315
3. 3, GTS, Scott Dollahite, Austin TX, Lotus Evora, 1:57.372
4. 4, GTS, Harry Gottsacker, San Antonio TX, Ginetta GT4, 1:57.397
5. 5, GTS, Brett Sandberg, Allendale NJ, KTM XBow GT4, 1:57.435
6. 6, GTS, Anthony Mantella, Toronto ON, KTM XBow GT4, 1:57.502
7. 7, GTS, Martin Barkey, Huntsville ON, KTM XBow GT4, 1:57.581
8. 8, GTS, Jeff Courtney, Milwaukee WI, MASERATI GranTurismo MC Trofeo, 1:57.711
9. 9, GTS, Nate Stacy, Owasso OK, Ford Boss 302, 1:57.782
10. 10, GTS, Lawson Aschenbach, Palm Bch Gardens FL, Chevrolet Camaro, 1:58.185
11. 11, GTS, Max Riddle, Vancouver BC, Aston Martin Vantage GT4, 1:58.237
12. 12, GTS, Dore Chaponick Jr., Miami FL, KTM XBow GT4, 1:58.521
13. 13, GTS, Vesko Kozarov, Salt Lake City UT, Nissan 370Z, 1:58.794
14. 14, GTS, Mark Klenin, Lone Tree CO, MASERATI GranTurismo MC Trofeo, 1:58.965
15. 15, GTS, Bill Ziegler, Ponte Verdra FL, KTM XBow GT4, 2:01.675
16. 16, GTS, Tony Gaples, Libertyville IL, Chevrolet Camaro, 59:59.999